(NEW 9/16)Beyond Hawaii Land History 101-The Mahele, Cultural Practices & the Bureau of Conveyances
Credits: 3 hours
Beyond Hawaii Land History 101 - The Mahele, Cultural Practices and the Bureau of Conveyances
Instructor: Celine Pi'ilani Nelsen
Expect to Learn:
1. Hawaii migration history and its impact on land ownership in the modern days
2. Cultural practices of land/natural resources, the feudal system and its transition after the Western discovery.
3. Timeline of Monarchy to Constitutional Government transition and the birth of the Land Commission.
4. The Great Mahele, 1850 Kuleana Act allowing foreign land ownership, and the birth of the Bureau of Conveyances.
5. How to navigate the Bureau of Conveyances and be better prepared for challenging transactions by knowing the history that affects title and land use.